By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Our Thoughts: Avoid summer sizzle
Placeholder Image

Summer is not typically the time when we think of the dangers of house fires, but hot dry conditions and dusty attics with running air conditioners can lead to residential fires.

This was apparently the case in Monday’s house fire on Crowell Road. The fire originated in home’s attic. Luckily the homeowners were not at home at the time of the fire and no firefighters were injured despite the extreme heat and stubborn fire, which caused a partial roof collapse while they were in the home.

Please take the time to inspect or have someone inspect your home’s air conditioner. Faulty wiring in a dusty attic doesn’t take long to ignite. Change the filter regularly so debris doesn’t buildup, creating fodder for a possible spark.

Check your smoke alarm’s batteries every month, and if you don’t have one, install one immediately.

Everything we can do to keep our homes safe will help our public safety officers in these hard economic times when they are forced to make do with less than they need; improving conditions are not on the horizon.