The namesake school of our county is Newton High. It was established in 1949, and the original building was located where the current administration building is today.
The current location of the school off Brown Bridge Road was opened in 1974 on land donated by the Bibb manufacturing company.
Over the years, Newton High, the pride of many of local homegrown civic and church leaders has grown a little worn.
This past week ground was broken for a brand new campus for the Rams of Newton, which will be located on Crowell Road, an appropriately named road for the school to be built on.
We are glad to see this, not only for the students who attend the school, but for the loyal alumni of the school, many of whom's eyes still glisten with pride when they talk of their days as Rams.
We are looking forward to the opening of our new Newton High School. After all, when a school carries the name of its community, its excellence of purpose represents the whole community, graduate or not.