By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Sunday fire total loss for local family
Placeholder Image

A Woodland Ridge Circle home was declared a total loss after a fire destroyed it early Sunday morning.

The family of five was awoken by a noise around 1 a.m. and finally found smoke in a closet of the home. When they made their way outside, the entire attic was on fire, according to Deputy Fire Chief Brad Stapp.

Although fire alarms were present in the home, the blaze started in the attic around the chimney, and the smoke was too high to trigger the alarms. The cause of the fire was likely a prefabricated fireplace being used as a wood-burning fireplace.

The home was valued at $68,200 according to the Newton County Tax Assessors website. No one was injured and there is no reason to believe it was anything other than an accidental blaze.

In addition to local relatives, the family will also be assisted by The American Red Cross.