By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Stepfather charged with sexually molesting, videotaping stepdaughter
Placeholder Image

 

A 32-year-old Newton County stepfather was arrested after his 13-year-old stepdaughter reported that he had been touching her inappropriately for two years. It was also later found that he had been videotaping her in various rooms throughout the home.

According to Newton County Sheriff’s Office Public Information Officer Lt. Tyrone Oliver, the girl told her mother that her stepfather had been touching her inappropriately since she was 11.

Investigators determined that the man had also been secretly taking inappropriate pictures of the child, sometimes when she was asleep, and had installed cameras throughout the house, including in the bathroom. Oliver said that information found on a computer confiscated from the home may indicate that pictures of the child had been uploaded to a website.

The man, whose name is being withheld to protect the victim, was arrested and charged with child molestation, sexual battery, eavesdropping and enticing a child for indecent purposes. Oliver said that the man apparently has no background of sexual crimes.

 

Uncle charged with sexually molesting niece 

 

 

In an unrelated case, a 35-year-old man was arrested and charged with similar crimes after his wife found explicit pictures of their teen-age niece.

Oliver said that accusations of inappropriate touching and sexually suggestive comments were brought to the attention of the sheriff’s office in 2007 when the child was 12, but at the time there was insufficient evidence to charge the man.

Recently, the child’s aunt found photos of the girl which appeared to have been taken several years ago. According to Oliver, the child would stay overnight at the home on occasion.

The man was arrested on charges of eavesdropping and sexual exploitation of a child. His name is being withheld to protect the identity of the victim.

April 3 crash kills two young adults, injures third
Newton County Sheriff Car---WEB

NEWTON COUNTY — Around 10 a.m. on Thursday, a head-on collision on Highway 212 left two young adults dead and a third hospitalized.

Joe Navarro, 21, was driving the vehicle and Breanna Smith, 18, was in the passenger seat. Katie New, 20, sat between them.

According to the Newton County Sheriff’s Office, the vehicle lost control while going around a curve and crossed the centerline, where it collided head-on with a box truck. The crash report shows that their vehicle traveled another hundred feet after impact before coming to a stop. It spun, ended up facing the opposite direction on the shoulder of the opposite lane.

Navarro and Smith were pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. New was airlifted to Grady Hospital. Her current condition is not known. 

Navarro, Smith and New were not believed to be wearing seatbelts when the collision occurred.

The driver of the box truck was not reported to have suffered any injuries.

This is an ongoing story. The News will post updates as they are made available.