By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Soldier from Conyers killed in Afghanistan
Placeholder Image

FORT CARSON, Colo. (AP) - Three troops killed in a suicide attack in Afghanistan were assigned to units based at Fort Carson in Colorado, military officials said Thursday.

The Defense Department identified them as Air Force Maj. Walter D. Gray, 38, of Conyers, Ga.; Army Maj. Thomas E. Kennedy, 35, of West Point, N.Y.; and Army Command Sgt. Maj. Kevin J. Griffin, 45, of Laramie, Wyo.

Authorities had said earlier that the insurgents who detonated suicide vests Wednesday in Kunar province killed three coalition service members and a civilian.

Griffin and Kennedy were assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division.

Griffin joined the Army in 1988, Fort Carson officials said. He had deployed to Iraq three times since 2003 and also served in the Balkans and Kuwait. His deployment to Afghanistan had started March 13.

Kennedy joined the Army in 2000 and had deployed to Iraq twice. His deployment to Afghanistan had just begun July 18.

Gray was an air liaison officer and flight commander for the Fort Carson-based 13th Air Support Operations Squadron, which is part of the 93d Air Ground Operations Wing headquartered at Moody Air Force Base in Georgia.

"Maj. Gray's ultimate sacrifice is a tragic loss for the 93d Air Ground Operations Wing family," said Col. Samuel Milam, wing commander, in a written statement. "He was a tremendous officer and leader. Our most heartfelt sympathies are with the Gray family and the Airmen of the 13th Air Support Operations Squadron during this difficult time."

Gray was commissioned in October 1997 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps after serving as an enlisted airman and was one of the Air Force's first career air liaison officers.

April 3 crash kills two young adults, injures third
Newton County Sheriff Car---WEB

NEWTON COUNTY — Around 10 a.m. on Thursday, a head-on collision on Highway 212 left two young adults dead and a third hospitalized.

Joe Navarro, 21, was driving the vehicle and Breanna Smith, 18, was in the passenger seat. Katie New, 20, sat between them.

According to the Newton County Sheriff’s Office, the vehicle lost control while going around a curve and crossed the centerline, where it collided head-on with a box truck. The crash report shows that their vehicle traveled another hundred feet after impact before coming to a stop. It spun, ended up facing the opposite direction on the shoulder of the opposite lane.

Navarro and Smith were pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. New was airlifted to Grady Hospital. Her current condition is not known. 

Navarro, Smith and New were not believed to be wearing seatbelts when the collision occurred.

The driver of the box truck was not reported to have suffered any injuries.

This is an ongoing story. The News will post updates as they are made available.