By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Prayer vigil for family that lost 4 children to fire
Placeholder Image

UPDATE: Investigators concluded there were no working smoke detectors in the two story, two bedroom duplex that went up in flames and killed four children on Tuesday. 


According to the county, there was one smoke detector found downstairs on the home’s main floor, but there was no battery in it.

There also were no sprinklers in the duplex, which at the time of its construction in 1983 were not required. 

The official cause of the fire has not yet been determined and is still under investigation.



A prayer vigil has been set for 7:30 p.m., Thursday, at Macedonia Baptist Church, 1052 Barton Street, Conyers, GA 30012. The public is invited, said Pastor Billie Cox.

Regarding donations, Cox said the family has been able to secure an apartment but is in need of furniture.


(Jan. 9, 7:22 p.m.) The family and the victims killed in Tuesday's fire have been identified. 

Reba Glass, 27, is the mother of Ah-Dariya, 9, Deshawn, 7, Darnell Jr., 6, Amoni, 3, and 8-month-old Deon Jr. Only she and Darnell Jr. and the children's grandmother Rosetta Mitchell survived the fire.

Investigators concluded the fatal fire started in the upstairs bathroom and hallway area. But the official cause of the fire has not been determined yet, according to a released statement. Samples have been sent to the laboratory for testing.

Investigators are also trying to determine if there were working smoke detectors.

A memorial fund for the Glass Family has been set up at Wells Fargo Bank under the Account Number 1009683226.

Memorial services are also being set up for the four children Saturday, Jan. 19, 11 a.m. at Macedonia Baptist Church, 1052 Barton Street, Conyers, GA 30012. 

Donations of clothing and household items for the family are also being coordinated by Pastor Billie Cox of Macedonia Baptist, who can be reached at 770-262-4076.

At Shoal Creek Elementary, where two of the victims and the surviving child attended school, students created cards for the family and survivors.

School counselors, teachers and administrators worked together to explain the situation to the children's classmates, said one parent, whose son was a classmate of Deshawn Glass. The principal also sent a recorded phone message to parents around 4 p.m.

In the afternoon, the school bus that the Glass children would have ridden dropped students back to their homes. The students on the bus pressed their faces silently to the window as they passed the burned out house.