Insurance Commissioner John W. Oxendine urged Georgians to use caution when cooking the holiday bird with the increasingly popular turkey fryer.
• Always use turkey fryers outdoors, well away from combustible decks and buildings. Choose a flat, stable surface.
• Do not move fryer during operation or while oil is hot. Cool oil completely before removing oil from fryer.
• Do not overfill fryers with oil; follow manufacturer’s recommendations.
• Use the thermometer provided with your turkey fryer. Do not heat oil above the temperature recommended by the manufacturer.
• Keep children and pets away from turkey fryers. Never leave fryers unattended.
• Thaw turkeys completely before cooking.
• In case of fire, do not attempt to extinguish with water; call the fire department immediately.