By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
New crosswalk signs make Floyd Street safer for pedestrians
sign

There are new additions on Floyd Street after months of requests from community members.

Recently crosswalk signs asking vehicles to be stopped for pedestrians were put in on Floyd Street at Anderson Street and at East Street.

Tim Fleming, who spoke to the Covington City Council during the public comments portion of Monday’s meeting, thanked the governing body for their work in getting the signs installed.

About eight months ago, Fleming, a Floyd Street resident, reached out to Councilman Chris Smith and Councilman Keith Dalton concerning the dangers of the intersection.

“There have been many times when there have been some bad wrecks there and many close calls,” Fleming said. “I said someone has to do something or someone is going to get in a wreck here or there’s going to be an accident.”

Fleming went on to tell the council that when school started in August he was walking his son from school and saw a mother crossing Floyd Street with her first-grader.

“About three-quarters of the way across the crosswalk, I saw her push her son to the sidewalk and she fell,” Fleming said. “I thought she had been hit.”

Then about three weeks ago, he said he saw a car go up on the curb along Floyd Street. That’s when he reached out again and called Smith.

“I said, Chris, I’m going to be a pain. Two times in one day we almost had something bad happen’,” Fleming said.

About a week ago the two signs, warning drivers that stopping for pedestrians was the law, were installed at the two intersections on Floyd StreetSince then, Fleming said, cars had been stopping when pedestrians are crossing and slowing down when they are not.

“Thank you all,” Fleming said to the council. “I know it’s something very small--the signs probably cost a few hundred dollars--but it was money well spent. I know we’re thankful for it and our neighbors are thankful for it.”

 

April 3 crash kills two young adults, injures third
Newton County Sheriff Car---WEB

NEWTON COUNTY — Around 10 a.m. on Thursday, a head-on collision on Highway 212 left two young adults dead and a third hospitalized.

Joe Navarro, 21, was driving the vehicle and Breanna Smith, 18, was in the passenger seat. Katie New, 20, sat between them.

According to the Newton County Sheriff’s Office, the vehicle lost control while going around a curve and crossed the centerline, where it collided head-on with a box truck. The crash report shows that their vehicle traveled another hundred feet after impact before coming to a stop. It spun, ended up facing the opposite direction on the shoulder of the opposite lane.

Navarro and Smith were pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. New was airlifted to Grady Hospital. Her current condition is not known. 

Navarro, Smith and New were not believed to be wearing seatbelts when the collision occurred.

The driver of the box truck was not reported to have suffered any injuries.

This is an ongoing story. The News will post updates as they are made available.