By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
TVs, computers taken in Covington burglary
Newton-County-Sheriffs-Office - WEB

COVINGTON, Ga.- Newton County Sheriff’s Office (NCSO) investigators are looking for the person or persons responsible for burglarizing a Covington house while the resident was away.

According to a NCSO report, Deputy Derreck Bartlett responded to the residence on Heatherstone Way at 2:37 a.m. April 25 where the victim told Bartlett that when he returned home after three days away, he found his garage door open. He told Bartlett that he closed the door when he left.

According to the report, as Bartlett entered the residence, he noticed that all of the drawers were open and looked like they had been rummaged through. After clearing the residence, Bartlett reportedly asked victim to check and make sure everything was where it should be.

After looking over his house, according to the report, the victim told Bartlett that two flat screen televisions, one desktop computer, one laptop computer, some gold jewelry and a tool box with tools had been stolen.

According to a NCSO spokesman, there are no currently no suspects in the case.

 

 

 

Newton County jury finds Covington man guilty of felony murder
Shane Robinson
Shane Robinson - photo by Courtesy of the Newton County Sheriff's Office

NEWTON COUNTY – On Monday afternoon, 30-year-old Shane Alexander Robinson of Covington was found guilty of killing Charles Edward Stanley III over three years ago.

The Newton County District Attorney’s Office released that a jury deemed that Robinson was guilty on three charges: Felony murder, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

On March 5, 2022, sometime between 11 p.m. and midnight, Robinson shot an AR-style firearm at a vehicle that Stanley was driving along Harvey Wood Drive. According to the District Attorney’s release, Robinson fired the weapon 13 times into the vehicle, killing Stanley.

According to a previous report by The Covington News, an arrest warrant stated that Robinson “grabbed his AR-15 (rifle) and drove” from his home to Harvey Wood Drive to “scare” Stanley.

“When Charles was backing up, Shane admitted to firing several rounds at the vehicle,” the 2022 warrant stated. “Furthermore, Shane also initially stated that he fired rounds at the vehicle as it was driving away.”

Robinson initially faced charges of murder, aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, unauthorized discharge of firearms within 50 yards of the public highway, and reckless conduct. It is not clear if some of these charges were dismissed.

Sentencing is set for a later date, which has not been announced. A co-defendant’s case is still pending.