By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Ingles shooter gets 20 years in prison, plus probation
Judge says pointing gun, threatening to shoot others 'calls for a stiff sentence'
Jimquez Swiney
Jimquez Swiney

COVINGTON, Ga. – Jimquez Swiney was sentenced to 20 years in prison plus probation in Newton County Superior Court on Thursday morning for shooting his wife inside a Covington grocery store last year.

Swiney, 34, pleaded guilty in May to multiple charges including criminal attempt to commit murder, aggravated assault/family violence, five counts of aggravated assault and six counts of possession of a firearm during commission of a felony.

Swiney was arrested by Covington police May 30, 2017, after shooting his wife inside the deli section of the Ingles on Turner Lake Road where she worked. According to court arguments during his plea hearing two months ago, Swiney believed his wife was cheating on him with a co-worker. He was reportedly off of his mental health medications when he went to the store to talk to her.

After she allegedly said disrespectful things to him, he pulled a handgun from his book bag and pointed it at her head before shooting her in the arm. He then reportedly went looking for the co-worker but was unable to find him. He pointed the weapon at multiple witnesses and asked “Do y’all want some?”  before running from the store.

The victim was transported to a local hospital.

Police caught up with Swiney on Capes Drive Northwest after he was seen by a citizen trying to break into a house.  He was arrested without incident after officers spotted hiding him behind a tree. The gun he used in the shooting was reportedly found nearby.

Swiney was judged competent to stand trial in February after a mental health evaluation by the Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities.

In court Thursday, his attorney Judy Kim told Alcovy Judicial Circuit Chief Judge John M. Ott that her client has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. She told Ott that Swiney is now taking his medications and is remorseful about the shooting before asking for a sentence of no more than 10 years in prison.

Ott responded, “Pointing a gun and threatening to shoot other individuals calls for a stiff sentence.”

“While I can be sympathetic to the defendant and his family, I’ve got to be concerned about the public,” he said.

Ott sentenced Swiney to 30 years on the attempted murder charge, with the first 20 years to be served in prison and the remaining 10 years on probation.  On other charges, Swiney was sentenced to an additional 10 years on probation with that sentence to run consecutively to the first 10 years for a total of 20 years on probation. The sentence also included fines and special conditions.

Newton County jury finds Covington man guilty of felony murder
Shane Robinson
Shane Robinson - photo by Courtesy of the Newton County Sheriff's Office

NEWTON COUNTY – On Monday afternoon, 30-year-old Shane Alexander Robinson of Covington was found guilty of killing Charles Edward Stanley III over three years ago.

The Newton County District Attorney’s Office released that a jury deemed that Robinson was guilty on three charges: Felony murder, aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

On March 5, 2022, sometime between 11 p.m. and midnight, Robinson shot an AR-style firearm at a vehicle that Stanley was driving along Harvey Wood Drive. According to the District Attorney’s release, Robinson fired the weapon 13 times into the vehicle, killing Stanley.

According to a previous report by The Covington News, an arrest warrant stated that Robinson “grabbed his AR-15 (rifle) and drove” from his home to Harvey Wood Drive to “scare” Stanley.

“When Charles was backing up, Shane admitted to firing several rounds at the vehicle,” the 2022 warrant stated. “Furthermore, Shane also initially stated that he fired rounds at the vehicle as it was driving away.”

Robinson initially faced charges of murder, aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, unauthorized discharge of firearms within 50 yards of the public highway, and reckless conduct. It is not clear if some of these charges were dismissed.

Sentencing is set for a later date, which has not been announced. A co-defendant’s case is still pending.