Greetings Covington music lovers, it's a crazy big weekend of music, so let's get right to it.
Featured Entertainment: Community in Unity
An all-day festival, Community in Unity, will be at the heart of Covington in Legion Field, on Mill Street, on Saturday, Oct. 29. In addition to a variety of featured speakers, games, entertainment, raffles, free hotdogs and a ton of vendors, there will be a full day's worth of music on the new stage and band shell at Legion Field.
The entertainment reads like a who's who of Covington talent, but there will also be some regionally known groups and one national act. It's quite exciting, here's the rundown:
The event starts around 11 a.m. with the group Old Souls; this group is actually a bunch of younger children — think School of Rock. The word on the street is that they can rock like nobody's business. Following them will be a new, kind of one-off group called Mojo Ave. Headed up a fellow member of the CIU Steering Committee, Jeremy Jackson, this group features Ryan and Amber Betts and a killer lead guitar player. I'm hearing that their finale is going to be epic.
After that, the one and only Drew Parker will take the stage for a rare solo acoustic gig. Parker, who we've covered a few times, has been living in Nashville and is really getting his name out there as a Country performer. This will be a real treat. The midday headliner, who will be hitting the stage around 2:45 p.m., will be Dustin Bragg. Bragg, son of well-known local music folks Tiger and Kathy Bragg, is someone else that the Minute has covered multiple times. He's a true talent, and this should be a great set with his full band.
The later hours of the festival will be capped off by the Almost Brothers — an Allman Brothers tribute band — that are well known regionally as one of the premier cover bands of this famous Southern Rock group. The evening headliner will be Euclid Grey, a nationally known R&B act that everybody is really excited about seeing.
This looks to be like an amazing day of fun and music for a great cause. You won't want to miss it.
Featured Venue: Bear Creek Marina
We really do have a hidden jewel in our neck of the woods in the Bear Creek Marina down at Jackson Lake. It's a really cool spot known for good food and they always do live music during the lake season.
Well-known Country artist Gannon Adams played the venue this past weekend. Coming up for Bear Creek Marina’s Halloween Bash on Saturday, Oct. 29, will be local legends Brother Pudge. This should be a really fun night.
In addition to their legendary wings and fried shrimp, the Marina has also gotten rave reviews on their fish tacos. They have a full bar, and inside lounge area, and an outside deck that has a great view of the water. The usual lake season runs from March 1 – Oct. 31, and there have been discussions between the ownership, management, staff and regulars as to whether or not they should stay open, with at least limited hours, through the off-season as they've been staying so busy lately. At a minimum, you might want to get down there at some point this week and enjoy some of the good food, drink and atmosphere and let your voice be heard regarding their decision...
Odds & Ends
- Matt Moncrief performs at Amici Covington, on Friday, Oct. 28 at 8 p.m. The cool one, Matt M., brings his righteous guitar chops and varied mix of tunes back to the groovy pizza joint on College Avenue.
- Gavin McLendon performs at The Listening Room at Irish Bred Pub on Friday, Oct. 28. This local up-and-coming Country artist is playing a free show at the Listening Room.
- "Wrasslin' at The Speakeasy in Porterdale on Saturday, Oct. 29 at 6 p.m.
- Live Music at Mystic Grill on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, starting at 7 p.m.
- Porterdale Bar & Grill. Vishus Cycle on Friday; Halloween Party with The Psycho-Devilles on Saturday.
- Open Mic at The Listening Room on Mondays and at The Depot with Shane Clark on Tuesdays
- The Social House has been sold. New owners have taken over this cool spot down in the lovely mill village and there's lots of buzz and excitement about this venue moving forward.
Enjoy the music, friends, and we'll see you next time.