By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Man dies in accidental blaze
Placeholder Image

A 29-year-old man was found dead early Saturday morning after his trailer on Ga. Highway 20 burned to the ground in an accidental fire.

Newton County Fire Chief Mike Satterfield said a fire was called in at Pine Ridge Mobile Home Park at 5110 Ga. 20 at 5:25 a.m. Saturday morning. By the time firefighters arrived, the blaze was what Satterfield called "fully involved."

Firefighters knew there was the possibility of someone inside the burning trailer, Satterfield said, but because of the extend of the fire, the trailer had to be knocked down in order put out the blaze.

Once the fire was extinguished, firefighters reportedly found the body of Oliver Hornsby near the front door.

"We believe the cause of the fire was unattended cooking," Satterfield said. "We were told he worked late at night and was accustomed to cooking a meal when he got off."

On July 29, Hornsby's kitchen burned down in a different trailer when he fell asleep while cooking early in the morning. During the first fire, Hornsby was reportedly awakened by a smoke detector.

So far, investigators have been unable to locate a fire detector in the remains of Hornsby's last trailer.

"One of the main causes of fires today is unattended cooking," Satterfield said. "A stove should never be left unattended while you are cooking."

No other injuries due to the fire were reported.