By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Man attacks his girlfriend with a hot curling iron
Placeholder Image

 A Newton County man was arrested for reportedly beating, punching, slapping and attempting to burn his girlfriend, who is seven months pregnant with his child, according to a Newton County Sheriff's Office report.

 Shortly before 2 p.m. on April 15, deputies responded to a domestic violence call at the Salem Glen apartment complex off of Salem Road.

 Darius Demetrius Forte, 23, of Covington, allegedly came into the bathroom of the apartment he shared with his 19-year-old girlfriend, who was curling her hair with a curling iron.

 According to the report, Forte took the iron from her and tried to burn her with it, then began slapping her in the face.

 She started screaming and managed to struggle loose, running out the back door to the neighbor's doorstep.

 As the neighbor opened their door, they saw Forte punch the 19-year-old in the head, pick her up and take her back to the apartment, where he continued hitting her in the face and head area. She was able to get loose again and ran next door where the neighbor called 911.

 When the deputy arrived, Forte had returned to the couple's apartment and refused to come to the door. He eventually came out as more deputies arrived, but denied hitting his girlfriend, who had scratches on her shoulder and chest area, according to the report.

 Forte began to resist as he was placed under arrest and was taken down to the ground by three deputies and placed in handcuffs.

 According to the report, there were no drugs or alcohol involved and the victim said there had been at least one previous incident of domestic violence.

 Forte was taken to the Newton County Detention Center, where he was still in custody as of Tuesday, and was charged with felony battery under the Family Violence Act, misdemeanor false imprisonment, reckless conduct misdemeanor and felony obstruction of officers.

 The unemployed and seven-month pregnant victim was checked by emergency medical personnel at the scene and signed a release, declining to be transported to the hospital.