The rental property was broken into sometime between Feb. 15 and Feb. 20, according to the NCSO incident report, although owner Scott Kimball estimates it happened on Wednesday, Feb. 20.
The perpetrator broke the back window to enter the house, which was empty because the tenant had moved out about two weeks ago, said Kimball.
Two unlit gas stove burners had been left on and the entire house was filled with gas when Kimball arrived.
Newton County Fire Chief Mike Satterfield said the danger with natural gas would come from a possible explosion more than suffocation or a lack of oxygen.
Kimball said the nearest residence to the modular house was about 25 to 30 yards away.
He speculated that the perpetrator might have turned on the burners to stay warm and failed to turn off the gas when they blew out the flame and left.
"The funny thing is," said Kimball, "they took the broom and cleaned up the broken glass."
He estimated the window would cost about $75 to replace.
No other damage was done to the home or the property.
Another renter had seen a white Pontiac Grand Am at the location on the night of the break-in, according to the NCSO report.