An explosion in Social Circle sent two men to the hospital Sunday.
A deputy with the Newton County Sheriff’s Office responded to a home on Paine Crossing in Social Circle around 4 a.m.
Upon arrival, EMS was already at the scene tending to the wounded.
Deputy Felicia Jefferson with the Newton County Sheriff’s Office said three men — one of them a 28-year-old who lived at the residence — had a fire burning in a barrel outside the home, which they had been sitting around for a period of time. Jefferson said for some reason, one of the males poured some type of fuel inside of the barrel, which caught on fire and exploded. She said the fuel was described as being either gasoline or diesel fuel.
"They had been sitting out there and were trying to keep the fire burning, but for what reason they thought they were going to pour some type of fuel or diesel on the fire, I have no idea," Jefferson said.
The explosion resulted in extensive burns over one of the victim’s bodies, she said. He was taken to Grady Medical Center by EMS. Jefferson said one of the other men received minor burns and was taken to the hospital by family members. The third man received no injuries.
No charges were filed in the case.