By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Grizzly man
Placeholder Image

It's July, yet Dalton Knox is still excited about his hunting trip to Yakatak, Alaska with his father back in May.

And he has good reason to be thrilled, considering he returned to Covington with a 1,200-pound grizzly.

Knox started planning the trip - an escapade alongside his 72-year-old father, Pete - over two years ago.

"I wanted to try (and) do something with him because it was basically the last big hunt for him," said Knox, "and this (was) a somewhat fairly easy hunt because we were on the coast."

Previously, the elder Knox had done a lot of big-game hunting throughout his whole life, but for him to go to Alaska - especially with his son - was special, and made for quite the bonding experience.

"It's unbelievable," said Knox regarding the beautiful state of Alaska. "When you step off the plane, it's like you're on another planet or something.

"We try to do at least one or two trips each year," added Knox. "Normally, we go to Texas on a deer hunt, which is a great father-son trip."

The 39-year-old Knox started hunting with his father when he was four, learning everything about it from him. At age 10, he killed his first deer - and was hooked ever since.

"He's taught me a lot," said Knox.

But on this particular trip to "The Last Frontier," the big kill came by way of the younger Knox, who shot a 9-foot-7-inch grizzly. On the other hand, his father shot an 8-foot-9-inch black bear that weighed 900 pounds - not too shabby, indeed.

Knox was approximately three-quarters of a mile away from the grizzly when he spotted it on the beach. After setting up with a spotting scope and getting into position, the bear disappeared into the alders.

But it wasn't long before Knox ran into the bear once again - this time within the depths of the alders. Soon thereafter, Knox shot the grizzly seven times from roughly 20 yards away using a 375 H & H Magnum.

"It looked about like a Volkswagen coming at me," recalled Knox.

Previously, Knox had killed an Alaskan arctic grizzly bear over fours ago in Alaska. However, the law required that Knox wait at least four years to kill another bear. But with his new prize, you could basically carpet an entire room with the enormous grizzly.

The unforgettable expedition lasted 11 days, but the actual hunt itself was eight. The area where they were permitted to hunt was roughly the size of Rhode Island. Overall, the father and son team killed four bears on the journey.

Currently, Knox is having a life-size mount made of the giant grizzly, while his father is also having one created out of the black bear. It will take several more months before finishing; however, they have a trophy room at home where the bears will ultimately rest.

Apparently, hunting simply runs in the family. His 10-year-old son, Hunter, killed his first deer at eight and his second at nine. (Both were eight-point bucks.)

In September, Knox is heading to Yukon for yet another hunting trip.