A grease fire at the American Deli on Highway 278 in Covington shut down the restaurant earlier this evening.
Covington fire fighters were called to the scene at 6:58 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 31.
"The employees used a fire extinguisher and had the fire pretty well knocked down and contained," said Fire Marshall Tony Smith, adding that responding fire fighters used a second extinguisher to put out the fire.
Because of the chemical agent used in the extinguisher, the restaurant will be closed until an Environmental Health inspector determines that it is safe for the deli to serve food, Smith said. "Unfortunately, because it's the holidays, it probably won't until Monday or later before they can reopen."
The fire started in a deep fryer unit when grease build-up ignited. The flames never spread beyond the unit, and there were no injuries.