The Covington City Council is holding its regularly scheduled meeting at 6:30 tonight at city hall. The meeting is always preceded by a work session at 5:30 p.m., where the council runs through the agenda and sometimes discusses issues in more depth than during the formal meeting
Two ordinances are expected to receive their first read-through tonight, including one to restrict the parking of large commercial vehicles in residential-zoned areas and one to enact stricter construction and maintenance regulations in the Walker's Bend subdivision, located off Ga. Highway 81. Both have received public input at previous meetings.
City Manager Steve Horton said item 13, regarding the animal control ordinance, is likely to be tabled until a work session is scheduled between the county and all of the cities. Newton County Animal Control services the entire county, including all cities.
Below is tonight's agenda:
1. Call to order.
2. Discussion of the minutes from the Regular Council Meeting held on September 8, 2010.
3. Discussion of the first reading of an ordinance for the City of Covington:
"AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF COVINGTON, GEORGIA, TO AMEND THE COVINGTON MUNICIPAL CODE, ENACTED AND ADOPTED ON THE 16TH DAY OF OCTOBER, 2001, AS AMENDED BY PREVIOUS AMENDMENTS, TO ALTER CERTAIN PROVISIONS OF CHAPTER 10.08 OF THE SAID CODE BY ADDING A NEW SECTION 10.08.010 THERETO RELATING TO COMMERCIAL VEHICLE PARKING IN RESIDENTIAL ZONING DISTRICTS, TO REPEAL CONFLICTING ORDINANCES AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES."
4. Discussion of the first reading of an ordinance for the City of Covington:
"AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF COVINGTON, GEORGIA, TO AMEND THE COVINGTON MUNICIPAL CODE, ENACTED AND ADOPTED ON THE 16TH DAY OF OCTOBER, 2001, AS AMENDED BY PREVIOUS AMENDMENTS, TO ALTER CERTAIN PROVISION OF TITLE 16 OF THE SAID CODE OF ORDINANCES FOR THE PURPOSE OF ADDING A NEW SECTION 16.24.030 (WALKER'S BEND OVERLAY ZONING DISTRICT) OF CHAPTER 16.24 (OVERLAY ZONING DISTRICTS) THEREOF TO REPEAL CONFLICTING ORDINANCES AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES."
5. Discussion of changes to the agenda.
6. Public comments for any item not on the agenda.
7. Discussion of the adoption of a resolution embracing recommendations from the LCI with regards to the Highway 278 Corridor Study.
8. Discussion of issuance of an RFP for the design and engineering of several water and sewer projects.
9. Discussion of Master Operating Agreement with The LPA Group for airport consulting engineering services.
10. Discussion of the appointment of Croy Engineering as a second airport consulting engineering firm.
11. Discussion of bids for Pace Street culvert cleaning,
12. Discussion of estimate for sidewalk work at AT&T parking lot.
13. Discussion of proposed amendments to the Newton County Animal Control Ordinance.
14. Public comments.
15. Recommendations of the City Manager.
16. Recommendations of the Mayor and Council.