By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Texting leads to attack
Crime Briefs
Placeholder Image

A tryst turned violent last Friday night when a woman attacked her girlfriend’s lover after reading the pair’s text messages.

Shortly before 1 a.m. on July 31, an officer from the Conyers Police Department responded to a fight in progress on Peaks Landing. Once on the scene, the officer spoke with the victim, who reportedly had several large black and blue contusions on her right arm. The victim reportedly told the officer she had been attacked by Ginger Marie Parks, 21, who lived at apartment with two other females. As a houseguest, the victim had been sleeping on the couch in the living room when she was struck several times in the arm with a wooden pole.

Another of the roommates reportedly pulled Parks off the victim, who then hid in the back of the apartment. Parks then left the apartment before authorities arrived.

Parks had reportedly become enraged after reading text messages on the victim’s phone between the victim and Parks’ girlfriend. The victim reportedly admitted she had been seeing Parks’ girlfriend, but said the text messages were innocent.

While interviewing witnesses, the officer heard footsteps outside the apartment door. Parks was subsequently located on the floor above the women’s apartment and taken into custody without incident.

Once in the pack of the officer’s patrol car, Parks reportedly told the officer she had been drinking and became upset with the victim’s texting of her girlfriend. Parks allegedly said she "snapped" and began hitting the victim. When asked if she used a wooden pole in the attack, Parks denied the claim. When confronted about the victim’s wounds and witnesses’ statements to the contrary, Parks reportedly told the officer she had been very intoxicated and did not remember the entire incident. She later said she might have used a pole in the assault.

After EMS reportedly determined the victim’s right forearm and hand had been broken during the incident, she was taken to the hospital by a friend.

Parks was transported to the Rockdale County Jail and was charged with aggravated assault and aggravated battery.

Hobby Lobby snatch and grab

On July 23, a man, later identified as Tommy Leach, stole an undisclosed amount of money from the Hobby Lobby in a classic case of snatch and grab.

Leach reportedly went through a cashier’s line twice, both times buying 99 cent erasers. On the second trip through, Leach allegedly grabbed a handful of money from the register and bolted for the door. An employee in the parking lot reportedly observed Leach flee the area in a light colored Chevrolet Malibu without a license plate.

The Conyers Police were called and moments later, an officer spotted man matching the employee’s description driving a Malibu. Leach was pulled over and subsequently arrested and transported to the Rockdale County Jail where he was charged with robbery.