By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Salem High briefly evacuated
Smoke seen from faulty AC unit at the school
Placeholder Image

Salem High School was evacuated Tuesday morning when smoke was seen in two second floor classrooms.

According to Cindy Ball, Rockdale County Schools Director of Community Relations, the fire department determined the cause to be a faulty fan motor on an air conditioner unit.

Smoke was detected in a couple of classrooms on the backside of the building at around 11:30 a.m.

The evacuation lasted just 20 minutes, as students returned to the gymnasium and then to all parts of the building, with the exception of the classrooms where the smoke was seen.

The fan motor on the unit is being replaced this afteroon, according to Ball. She also said that all of the heating and air units are on routine maintenance programs.