Georgia's Back-To-School Sales Tax Holiday returns Aug. 1-2. Although it occurs after RCPS students are already back in the classrooms, every little bit helps.
During the sales tax holidays, the following items will be exempt:
- Clothing and footwear with a sales price of $100 or less per item
- Computers, computer components and prewritten computer software purchased for noncommercial home or personal use with a sales price of $1,000 or less per item
- School supplies, school art supplies, school computer supplies and school instructional materials purchased for noncommercial use with a sales price of $20 or less per item
The exemption does not apply to:
- Cell phones
- Belt buckles sold separately
- Costume masks sold separately
- Patches and emblems sold separately
- Sewing equipment and supplies, including but not limited to knitting needles, patterns, pins, scissors, sewing machines, sewing needles, tape measures and thimbles
- Sewing materials that become part of clothing, including but not limited to buttons, - fabric, lace, thread, yarn, and zippers
For more information, you can contact the Ga. Dept. of Revenue Taxpayer Services Division at 1-877-423-6711, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday, or go to www.dor.ga.gov or https://etax.dor.ga.gov/salestax/bulletins/Sales%20Tax%20Holiday%20IB%202014.pdf
The area's only domestic violence shelter for women and families is asking for the community's help to provide school supplies to students staying at the shelter. Project ReNeWal serves Rockdale, Newton and Walton counties and has students attending their home schools in those counties.
Both monetary and school supply donations are needed.
For more information, email Laquisha Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 770-761-9333
Springfield Baptist Church will further aid families with three upcoming food distribution days.
Registration and disribution of the food will be on Tuesday, Aug. 5, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 6, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., and Thursday, Aug. 7, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
First come, first serve. Recipients must show I.D. to register. Food will be distributed until supplies run out.
The distributions will occur at the Springfield Activity Center, located behind the main sanctuary, at 1877 Iris Drive.
For more information, call 770-929-1111.