The Oxford Lions celebrates its 65th Anniversary this year. At recent celebrations, members were joined by past presidents, community members, international, state and district Lion dignitaries, and representatives from nine other Lions Clubs.
Members were joined by past presidents of the club, community members, international, state and district Lion dignitaries, and representatives from nine other Lions Clubs.
Dr. John Pearce, Past International Director and charter members Lions John Burson and Dr. Carlos Meyer spoke. New members Donna Sneed and Jody Reid were inducted by Past Council Chair Lion Grace Clower.
The Oxford Lions Club was charted in 1951 by 44 men. Under the direction of Lion Pierce Cline, they sponsored Boy Scout Troop 211, a sponsorship they continue today. The Lions also sponsor Cub Scout Pack 211, a Venture Crew and American Heritage Girls.
In 1968 the club built the David Burson Scout Lodge on Moore Street on land donated by Lion Don Ballard. It was named for David Burson, the son of Lion John and Ruth Burson. David was the troop’s first Eagle Scout.
In 1954 the Oxford Lions organized Oxford’s first Volunteer Fire Department and purchased the town’s first fire truck. They also built a skating rink adjacent to Oxford’s Town Hall and added picnic benches and a slide in the early 1950s.
Other projects the Oxford Lions Club has worked on include:
• Promoting a house numbering plan for the town of Oxford, adopted in August 1964,
• With the Georgia Historical Commission, installed several historical markers around down and built the wall on Whatcoat Street with the large marker commemorating the town of Oxford and Emory University;
• Supported a program to supply milk for school lunches until 1966;
• Awards bikes to a girl and boy each in third, fourth and fifth grades who made the most academic improvement during the year at Palmer Stone Elementary School and, later Flint Hill Elementary School. Sponsors a Peace Poster Contest at Cousins Middle School;
• Collects books for the Newton County School System’s moving library;
• Volunteer at Newton County Library;
• Provide free watermelon and popcorn for, and cosponsors the Oxford’s Annual 4th of July Parade and Celebration at Old Church;
• Collects used eye glasses, hearing aids, and cell phones to be recycled to help those in need and supports the Georgia Lions Lighthouse, Leader Dogs for the Blind, Southeastern Guide Dogs, Georgia Lions Camp for the Blind and the Lions Clubs International Foundation.
• Partnered with the Covington Lions to secure a large grant from Lions Club International for the Miracle League Field; and
• This summer, provided meals for children in cooperation with Action Ministries’ Smart Lunch-Smart Kid Program.
The Oxford Lions Pancake Supper and community calendar are projects that have been around for over 50 years and help support the club’s work. Other fundraisers have included sales of mops and brooms, and the sale of two cookbooks.