By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
NCCA offers additional pre-K class
Placeholder Image

The New Year has brought in additional Pre-K slots at the Newton College and Career Academy.

The Newton County School System announced Thursday that it will open a second pre-kindergarten class at the career academy effective Monday, Jan. 27.

School system officials said there are only 22 slots are available for the new class, and those slots will be filled on a first-come-first-served basis. Parents interested in enrolling their children can call Velinsie Burden in the Curriculum and Instruction Department at 770-787-1330 ext. 1268 to make an appointment.

Registration will be held by appointment only between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays at the Newton County Board of Education, 2109 Newton Drive.

Children must be 4 4 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2013, to qualify for enrollment in the pre-kindergarten class at the career academy. Only custodial parents and legal guardians may register a child for pre-K.

In order to register a child, parents should bring a certified birth certificate and two proofs of residence/address—one from each of the two categories:

Category 1: Electric, gas, garbage, or water bill in the name of the person enrolling the child; and

Category 2: Current lease, rental agreement, or mortgage statement from the purchase of a home.

Telephone bills, mortgage payment books, post office addresses, car licenses, credit cards, and Medicaid cards will not be accepted as proof of residence. If the child does not live with one or both parents, guardianship or custody documents must be presented. Should the child and parent/guardians live with someone else and as a result not have a proof of address in his/her name, a Statement of Legal Residence/Affidavit of Parent/Guardian is needed. Bring the affidavit completed, signed and notarized, along with the two proofs of residence in the name of the person who owns the property.

Parents must also bring the child’s Social Security card; the Eye, Ear, Dental (EED) Screening Form #3300 (if the child has reached age 4); and Immunization Record Form #3231. Both forms may be obtained from a doctor or the Newton County Health Department.

If there is no Social Security card, a waiver may be signed at the time of registration. Please check with your doctor or the local health department for new immunization requirements.