By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Crime Briefs
Arrests made at Wal-Mart
Placeholder Image

Three girls caught stealing from Wal-Mart
A call from Wal-Mart security officers landed three teens in jail Thursday.

According to reports, officers from the Covington Police Department were called to the popular store and met with a loss protection officer. He reportedly told the officers that he had watched two young women conceal merchandise in an empty silver purse, then exit out the front doors of the store.

Once apprehended, the security guard allegedly found four tank tops, four pairs of shorts, two bottles of shampoo, some dip and three pairs of panties. The amount of merchandise stolen totaled more than $60.

One of the girls, 18-year-old Katrina Vining reportedly told the officers she didn’t know her address, while her friend allegedly initially refused to tell them her name. When she was informed that she would have to stay in the jail until her fingerprints came back and supplied the jail staff with her identification, she reportedly told them she was 18-year-old Akirrh Gulley.

According to reports, the manager of the store informed CPD officers that Gulley had threatened him, allegedly saying that she was going to get someone to beat him up at the store, reportedly using much more colorful language to get her point across. Gulley allegedly yelled that she had not said that, but that she had in fact said that she would get someone to beat him up “on the street,” once more, using colorful language.

Both women were escorted from the store to waiting patrol cars. While doing this, another female, identified as 18-year-old Sara Hill, who had reportedly been with Vining and Gulley in the store, walked out of the store at which time the manager allegedly pointed to her and said that she had been given a criminal trespass warning and that she was banned from the store. Hill was then arrested as well.

All three were transported to the Newton County Detention Center. Gulley was charged with theft by shoplifting and disorderly conduct, Vining was charged with theft by shoplifting and Hill was charged with criminal trespass.

Two detained in Kmart
Covington Police Officers were called to Kmart Sunday afternoon to deal with two juveniles reportedly caught destroying property in the store.

When they arrived, officers were directed to the employee break room where they found a white juvenile male and a black juvenile male. Witnesses reportedly told officers they watched the two youths destroying store merchandise by knocking it off racks.

The boys were asked to leave the store by the manager at which time the white male allegedly started yelling and cursing. When officers initially entered the break room, they reported that the white male was behaving very disrespectfully toward them. When asked for his name he reportedly told the officers it was “none of their business” and refused.

While being escorted out of the store he allegedly attempted to pull away from the officer restraining him and reportedly kicked the glass front doors.

Both boys were transported to the Covington Police Department. The black male was reportedly quite cooperative with officers and due to this, no charges were filed against him. The white male allegedly continued to be disrespectful and was charged with criminal trespass and obstruction.

Vehicular homicide
A 30-year-old Eatonton man has been charged in the July 5 death of 45-year-old motorcyclist David J. Nunnelley.

Johnny Otis Workman was charged on July 16 with homicide by vehicle, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (first offense), driving while license suspended or revoked (first offense), reckless driving, improper lane usage, no proof of insurance and fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer.

According to Georgia State Patrol Trooper Brian Cuendet, moments before the accident occurred a trooper had attempted to stop Workman on the Access Road. He stopped momentarily, but when the trooper began exiting his vehicle, Workman allegedly sped off, traveling westbound. Roughly a mile down the road Workman reportedly lost control and struck the motorcycle which was traveling in the opposite direction.

Deputies responded to the area at Access Road and Old Oxford shortly after 3 a.m. Nunnelley, of Oxford, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Workman is currently incarnated at the Newton County Detention Center and has been denied bond.