The Service Guild of Covington was founded as a Georgia Federation of Woman’s Club in October of 1945. The organization, which was established to create the first kindergarten in Newton County, celebrated its 70th anniversary Oct. 10.
The founding members were pillars of the community: Lois T. Hay, Agnes Randall, Ruth Pratt, Frances Pratt, Ann Nesbitt and Mary Frances Ramsey. The kindergarten functioned at full capacity with a waiting list and double daily sessions until the advent of kindergarten in the public school system. The club operated under the six programs of community service guidelines set forth by the Georgia Federation of Woman’s Club’s. Today, the Service Guild of Covington celebrates its 70th year of service in Covington and Newton County, with 28 active members still meeting the needs of our community. For more information on The Service Guild of Covington, visit the club website at gafwcsg.org.