COVINGTON, Ga. - Once a month, Kay Moore and her friend, Michealita Barber, enjoy a nice lunch at LongHorn Steakhouse in Covington. Their monthly outing took a turn June 13 when Moore choked on a piece of her Pittsburgh rare steak.
Moore and Barber were sitting at the bar, enjoying each other’s company, before the incident occurred.
“I’m eating, talking and being myself,” Moore said as she laughed a little, showing the joy she felt when she spends time with her friend. She did not expect the terrified feeling she soon felt when she was unable to breath.
In a panicked state, Moore began pounding on the table, face turning blue.
As Moore recalled the memory of that day, she spoke about how terrified she felt “not being able to breath… to know you cannot take another breath.”
Barber was equally as terrified.
“I don’t know what else I would do if I lost her,” Barber said.
The waitress immediately called for Mike Shumate, manager, who showed up within seconds to help Moore. Shumate was trained in the heimlich maneuver years ago, but this was the first incident where he had to use his training to save a life.
Four abdominal thrusts later, Moore was breathing again, but Shumate continued to go beyond his responsibilities to make sure she was ok.
“He was really concerned,” Barber said. “He stayed there with us until we knew she was okay.”
Barber added that Mike was a “very special guy.”
Moore had no words to express her gratitude towards Shumate, but she continued to pray that he would receive his heart’s desire in life.
“I have a life that I would not have had if it weren’t for Mike,” Moore said. “God put him where I needed him at that time.”
Shumate remained humble through the incident and claimed that he was “just helping.”
“It’s surreal,” Shumate said. “I know I did save a life, but it doesn’t feel like I saved a life.”
Shumate has been a manager at LongHorn Steakhouse, in Covington, for 11 years.