The Gwinnett, Newton, and Rockdale County Health Departments are now offering annual flu shots at their health centers (Buford, Lawrenceville, Norcross, Conyers, and Covington) to everyone 6 months and older. Both the nasal and injectable forms of the vaccine are available.
The cost of a flu shot is $25. Methods of payments accepted include cash and credit (no American Express). Health Departments will bill Medicaid, Medicare Part B and some private insurance. Appointments are not required.
The health department also recommends pneumonia shots for persons over 65 years old or anyone with a chronic illness or weakened immune system. This shot will help protect them against pneumonia, a serious complication of the flu.
In addition to vaccination, you can also reduce your risk of getting the flu by following a few simple steps:
· Wash your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand cleanser.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
· Stay home when you are sick and keep sick children home.
· Do not share eating utensils, drinking glasses, towels or other personal items.
· Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then put used tissues in a waste container and wash your hands. If you do not have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your sleeve.
For a list of health department centers in Gwinnett, Newton, or Rockdale Counties visit www.gnrhealth.com.