COVINGTON, Ga. – On Feb. 26, Independent We Stand, the national small business movement, kicked-off its third annual America’s Main Streets contest to help consumers, small business owners and Main Street organizations reward a deserving Main Street with $25,000 in cash and sponsor-related prizes. Main Street Covington is among this year’s nominees.
America’s Main Streets play an important role in the long-term success of communities and help build a sense of place reinforcing this year’s theme: “Local Memories. Lasting Impact.”
“Our Independent We Stand America’s Main Streets contest shines a light on the pride business owners and communities take in their Main Streets,” says Independent We Stand co-founder Bill Brunelle. “We know small businesses on these Main Streets help them thrive and have a measurable economic impact. This contest is a chance to share those stories with people from coast-to-coast.”
The Main Street Covington Program was established in 1988 to enhance the quality of life for the City of Covington residents through the revitalization of the downtown district. If Main Street Covington wins the grand prize, they plan on putting it back into Downtown Covington and make it even more beautiful than it already is.
“Over the past 30 years, Downtown Covington has come a long way to where it is today. That could not have been possible without the support of this community,” stated Main Street Director Lauren Singleton. “I want to thank Lee Mayfield for bringing this opportunity to my attention. It’s such an honor to be nominated with other great Main Street Programs from across the country.”
The first round of voting in the contest began as soon as Main Street Covington was nominated and runs through April 22. All nominations and voting take place on MainStreetContest.com.
- Feb. 26 to April 22: “America’s Main Streets” nominations and quarterfinalist voting
- April 30 to May 27: “America’s Main Streets” semifinalist voting
- June 4: “America’s Main Streets” winner announced
- July 4: “Main Streets Make Us Better” event; “America’s Main Streets” winner announces plans for $25,000 grand prize
Additional contest prizes include:
- STIHL Equipment Certificate for $1,000 worth of STIHL equipment good at any STIHL dealer in the U.S.
- Do it Best Corp. $500 shopping spree
- PPG Paints $500 shopping spree
- Public relations and social media recognition
- Special plaque for winner to proudly display
For more information on Main Street Covington, visit: downtowncovington.org or call 770-385-2077.