COVINGTON, Ga. –The national small business movement, Independent We Stand, announces the quarterfinalists, including Main Street Covington in Newton County, in the 2018 “America’s Main Streets” contest. As the lifeblood of our cities and towns, Main Streets play an important role in the long-term success of communities and help build a sense of place. Independent We Stand invites the public to vote for their favorite quarterfinalist and move a deserving Main Street one step closer to the grand prize of $25,000.
The Main Street Covington Program was established in 1988 to enhance the quality of life for the City of Covington residents through revitalization of the downtown district. Since becoming an accredited Main Street Program 30 years ago, Main Street Covington has helped make Downtown Covington one of the most beautiful downtowns in the state of Georgia.
“We are in our third year of the contest and are so happy to see the passion and pride these nominees have for their Main Streets and the local businesses that keep them alive. Now it’s time for consumers to show their support and vote again to move their favorites into the semifinals,” explains Independent We Stand co-founder Bill Brunelle. “Our theme this year is ‘Local Memories. Lasting Impact.’ and this group is a terrific example of the unique experiences and economic benefits shopping local can have on a community.”
More than 117,000 total votes were cast for 303 entrants during the nominations phase. The 2018 quarterfinalists in alphabetical order are:
- Belleville Main Street, Belleville, Ill.
- Benicia Main Street, Benicia, Calif.
- Bridge Street Ashtabula, Ashtabula, Ohio
- Cedar Lee, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
- Clarence Main Street, Clarence, Iowa
- Collierville, TN, Collierville, Tenn.
- Congress Street, York, S.C.
- Downtown Great Falls, Great Falls, Mont.
- Downtown Jacksonville, Jacksonville, Ill.
- Downtown Jeffersonville, Jeffersonville, Ind.
- Downtown Rochester, Rochester, Mich.
- Downtown Smithfield, Smithfield, N.C.
- Downtown Statesville, Statesville, N.C.
- Downtown Tupelo Main Street, Tupelo, Miss.
- East Troy, WI, East Troy, Wis.
- Edenton, North Carolina, Edenton, N.C.
- Fulton Street, Fresno, Calif.
- Hillsboro Main Street, Hillsboro, Texas
- Logansport, Indiana, Logansport, Ind.
- Lost Nation Main Street, Lost Nation, Iowa
- Main Street Covington, Covington, Ga.
- Main Street Hayward, Hayward, Wis.
- Main Street Texarkana, Texarkana, Texas
- Market Street Mt. Carmel, Mount Carmel, Ill.
- New London, New London, Minn.
“It is a huge honor to be the only Georgia Main Street Program in the Top 25 of this contest,” remarked Lauren Singleton, Main Street Director of Main Street Covington. “Thank you to everyone who voted for Main Street Covington. Please continue to vote, and let’s show the rest of the country how much we love Covington!”
Semifinalist voting begins April 30 10 a.m. at MainStreetContest.com and runs through May 27.
The top 10 semifinalists will be announced May 28. The winner of the 2018 “America’s Main Streets” contest will be announced June 4 followed by a “Main Streets Make Us Better” celebration on the Fourth of July, when the winner will announce how the prize money will be utilized.
Contest prizes include:
- $25,000 grand prize
- STIHL Equipment Certificate for $1,000 worth of STIHL equipment good at any STIHL dealer in the U.S.
- Do it Best Corp. $500 shopping spree
- PPG Paints $500 shopping spree
- Public relations and social media recognition
- Special plaque for winner to proudly display
For more information on MAIN STREET COVINGTON, visit: downtowncovington.org or contact 770-385-2077.
To vote for “America’s Main Streets” semifinalists, visit MainStreetContest.com.
STIHL Inc., America’s number-one selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment, is the founding sponsor of Independent We Stand and the presenting sponsor of America’s Main Streets contest. The company follows a unique distribution strategy in the handheld outdoor power equipment industry, choosing never to sell products at big box stores, but instead remaining loyal to its 9,000+ independent servicing dealers nationwide.
- Do it Best Corp.
- North American Retail Hardware Association
- PPG Paints
About Main Street Covington
Main Street Covington is a locally funded non-profit volunteer organization comprised of residents, professionals, and property and business owners. Main Street Covington is committed to doing its part to create an atmosphere in Covington’s downtown / Central Business District that encourages a thriving economy.
About Independent We Stand
Independent We Stand is a nationwide movement of independent small business owners whose mission is to inspire other small business owners to better understand and celebrate their locally-owned status while educating consumers about the importance and strong economic benefits of supporting them. The Independent We Stand movement is sponsored by STIHL Inc. STIHL products are sold through more than 9,000 servicing power equipment retailers from coast to coast – not big box stores. Associate sponsors include PPG Paints and Do it Best Corp.