As the lifeblood of our cities and towns, Main Streets play an important role in the long-term success of communities and help build a sense of place. Independent We Stand invites the public to vote for their favorite quarterfinalist and move a deserving Main Street one step closer to the grand prize of $25,000.
The Main Street Covington Program was established in 1988 to enhance the quality of life for the City of Covington residents through revitalization of the downtown district. Since becoming an accredited Main Street Program more than 30 years ago, Main Street Covington has helped make Downtown Covington one of the most beautiful downtowns in the state of Georgia.
Nearly 230,000 total votes were cast for 232 entrants during the nominations phase. The 2019 quarterfinalists in alphabetical order are:
- Belleville Main Street, Belleville, Illinois
- Benicia Main Street, Benicia, California
- Cambridge Main Street, Cambridge, Ohio
- Canton Main Street, Canton
- Center Street/Downtown Rutland, Rutland, Vermont
- Corning's Gaffer District, Corning, New York
- Downtown Big Rapids, Big Rapids, Michigan
- Downtown Elkin Historic Main Street, Elkin, North Carolina
- Downtown Jeffersonville, Jeffersonville, Indiana
- Downtown Montpelier, Montpelier, Vermont
- Herrick Avenue, Wellington, Ohio
- Historic Downtown Ripon, Ripon, Wisconsin
- Jacksonville Main Street, Jacksonville, Illinois
- LaBelle Downtown Revitalization Corporation, LaBelle, Florida
- Lincoln Avenue, Bellevue, Pensylvania
- Logansport, Indiana, Logansport, Indiana
- Lost Nation Main Street, Lost Nation, Iowa
- Main Street Amherst, Amherst, Ohio
- Main Street Covington, Covington,
- Main Street Hayward, Hayward, Wisconsin
- Peru, Indiana, Peru, Indiana
- Saco Main Street, Saco, Maine
- Texarkana Main Street, Texarkana, Arkansas/Texas
- Uptown Butte, Montana, Butte, Montana
- Wellsboro Main Street, Wellsboro, Pensylvania
Semifinalist voting started April 29 at MainStreetContest.com and runs through May 26.
The top 10 semifinalists will be announced May 27. The winner of the 2019 “America’s Main Streets” contest will be announced June 3 followed by a “Main Streets Make Us Better” celebration on the Fourth of July, when the winner will announce how the prize money will be used.
Additional contest prizes include:
- STIHL Equipment Certificate for $1,000 worth of STIHL equipment good at any STIHL Dealer in the U.S.
- Do it Best Corp. $500 shopping spree
- Free One Day Downtown Assessment from Flip This Town
- Nationwide Marketing Group $500 shopping spree
- PPG Paints $500 shopping spree
- Public relations and social media recognition
- A special plaque for the winner to proudly display