Officials and members of the community on Sunday afternoon watched the dedication and unveiling of an historical plaque for the Oxford School, an all-black school built in 1921 partially with funding from the Rosenwald Fund. Newton County Commissioner J.C. Henderson, next to the sign, emceed the dedication ceremony. Speakers included Rev. Harold Cobb, state Sen. Ronald Ransey, former teacher Emma Jean Williams, Leroy Nolley, Oxford Mayor Jerry Roseberry, attorney W. D. Ballard and alumni who chose to share their memories.
The first things many of the alumni of the Oxford School mentioned when asked about their time there were the vignettes of elementary school life in many places in many times: certain teachers who still stand out in memory, the principal, the café down the street that sold hot dogs at lunch time, someone giving out fresh apples and oranges occasionally.
While Hoyt Oliver has studied and incorporated tenants from several major religions into his worldview, the Christian Bible has played an outsized role in life changes voluntary and seemingly incidental.
Oxford city officials plan to build a park for young children and parents on a vacant city-owned wooded lot in the Oxford Square neighborhood, though some residents there fear it would be taken over by teenagers if not patrolled well.
Oxford College announced that Kenneth L. Anderson, associate dean for academic affairs and professor of philosophy, has been named dean for academic affairs and chief academic officer, effective May 2012. Anderson will assume the role currently held by Dean Kent Linville, who has announced his retirement at the end of the 2011-12 academic year.