When it comes to the paranormal, Louis Van Dyke is agnostic.
The lush campus of Oxford College is steeped in history. Built in 1836 as a Methodist liberal arts college, it was the birthplace of Emory University. During the Civil War it served as a hospital where soldiers wounded in the Battle of Atlanta were treated. For many, it was also where they came to die.
The hallowed grounds of Oxford Historical Cemetery and Tabernacle Cemetery hold the bones of hundreds. From former slaves to former leaders - families have been burying their dead in these cemeteries for hundreds of years. And legend has it that if you listen very closely as the day comes to a close, you can hear the voices of those laid to rest begin to speak once more.
Originally established as a cemetery for residents of Oxford and for those who were involved with Oxford College, the Oxford Historical Cemetery has approximately 1,000 graves, including several professors, ministers and Miss Kitty ...
It's been said that extreme violence leaves its mark on a place, and that those whose life ends in violence still wander the place they died. And legend has it, the Alcovy Trestle Bridge area is one of these places. According to some, it's the site of more than one ghost.
In the 1940s, the Alcovy Trestle Bridge is rumored to be the site of several hangings carried out by vigilantes who would bring young black men from Newton and surrounding counties to the trestle, walk them down the long tracks, then hang them from the portion of ...
Built in 1901, the old jail was home to many of Newton County's criminals until 1983 - and according to some, one person was even hung there. And although the jail is currently gutted, the ghosts of those who once called the cells home, still wander the crumbling hallways.
The old jail was once home to Newton County Sheriff's Department's Criminal Investigations Division and according to NCSO Captain Marty Roberts, it was then that many noticed the strange happenings in the building.
The original inhabitants of Gaither's Plantation may be long in their graves, but if dozens of visitors are to be believed, the dead still walk the halls of this 159-year-old plantation home.
The home was built by William Hulbert Gaither, who lived there with his wife Cecelia and their children. The cotton plantation sat on 875-acres of property in Newton and Jasper counties and was home to more than 130 slaves. The area was so large it was once called the "Gaither's District." The home was a site of multiple parties and the Gaither family was a popular ...
Page 1 of 1