View Mobile Site
 
Posted: March 13, 2009 11:35 a.m.

Lit cigarette starts house fire

/

A fire gutted a large part of the home at 5170 Mill Street, including the bedroom.

A home on Mill Street sustained extensive smoke damage and some fire damage after one of the occupants reportedly left a lit cigarette unattended Friday morning.

According to Covington Fire Department Captain Rob Christopher, the fire department received the call for assistance at 10:27 a.m. and when firefighters arrived they found a fire, contained mainly in one room of the home. There was no one at home when the fire began.

The Fire Marshall determined that the cause of the blaze was unattended smoking. According to Christopher, it is believed the fire actually started in a recliner in one of the rooms of the house. When the homeowners left the home to run an errand, a lit cigarette was left in the recliner, which started the fire. Although the home sustained substantial smoke damage, it is not a total loss, according to Christopher.

“We don't have nearly as many fires started by smoking as we used to,” he said. “But if you are going to smoke just make sure to place your cigarettes in ashtrays and be sure that when you finish with it you put it out completely.”

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...