View Mobile Site
 
Posted: August 17, 2014 9:01 p.m.

Hospital evacuated due to faulty AC unit

Bryan Fazio/

A faulty air handling unit filled with smoke and caused the evacuation of Newton Medical Center's emergency room Sunday evening.

Shortly before 7:30 p.m. a call came in concerning an odor of smoke in the hospital. The hospital was then evacuated after several Covington Fire Department and Police Department vehicles arrived on scene, including a ladder truck sending personnel to the roof.

According to Covington Fire Marshall Tony Smith, maintenance was repairing the faulty motor.

A battalion chief on station said everyone was evacuated without incident.

The ER went back to normal operations in approximately 30-45 minutes, according to Smith.

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...