View Mobile Site
 
Posted: January 22, 2014 4:14 p.m.

Small fire at Cousins Middle School

The Covington Fire Department has responded to a small fire in the ceiling of Cousins Middle School Wednesday afternoon.

Students were evacuated outside, before being moved to the gymnasium located on the opposite side of the school from the area the firefighters are working on. No one was hurt, and the evacuation lasted about 20 minutes

The smoke was caused by a component on the electrical panel melting, according to Covington Fire Department Fire Marshall Tony Smith. Three fire trucks responded and were gone a little after 4 p.m., before school was dismissed.

No delays to bus drop-offs were caused by the incident.

Smith said the Newton County School System School system has already called a contractor to fix issue with the panel.

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...