View Mobile Site
 
Posted: January 6, 2011 7:45 a.m.

Homeless man sustains extensive burns

A homeless man suffered extensive burns Saturday night after a portable propane heater overturned and set his tent on fire as he slept.

According to the Newton County Fire Department, the man suffered severe burns to his face, hand and leg with the worst burns to his face. The man was able to put the fire out but was reportedly unable to call for help. He crawled to the intersection of Ga. Highway 81 and Crowell Road where a passerby stopped to help.

The 56-year-old was taken by air ambulance to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta. He had reportedly lived in the woods at that intersection long enough to have accumulated several belongings, according to firefighters.

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...